top of page

Ullah competes in 'Nailed it' Challenge

MON. | 12-12-22 | FEATURES

     I’m going to start this off by saying that I don’t bake, like ever. The most I have done is put Pillsbury cookies on parchment paper and stuck them in the oven. I also have the worst luck of anyone on this planet, so everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong.

     I didn’t start my cake until Sunday night, which was the worst idea I’ve ever had in my life.

     I followed the directions on the cake box, split the cake batter into two pans and put them in the oven. My attention span is 

Kemorah process.HEIC

Photo by Kemorah Ullah

 pretty short, so I gave up after taking them out of the oven and called it a night.

     I am off-campus for third period, so I took full advantage of the couple of hours I had on Monday to knock the rest of the cake out, right before the cakes were judged. 

     I stacked the cakes and then I realized that it was nowhere near the height of the reference picture, but there was no turning back at this point, so I just moved on.

     I used chocolate melts in a piping bag to pipe antlers onto a piece of parchment paper. After they hardened some, I decided it would be better to put them on a paper plate because the parchment paper was too flimsy. On my way to put them on a paper plate, one of my backup antlers fell to the ground and broke into what seemed like a thousand pieces.

      After I finished icing the cake, I went in with green frosting around the diameter of the cake. The frosting I got was premade and already had a star tip on the bag, but when I first went to use it, straight liquid came flying out of the bag. At this point I was so done, but I shook the bag and thankfully, got the frosting to work.

      When I first stuck the antlers in the cake, it was perfect, they looked amazing, but then I put the cake top on. The cake top did not even begin to fit, so I shoved my antlers into the cake a little bit more. Still not enough. I do this about 10 times before I just start breaking off parts of the antlers. When I finally got the top to fit, the antlers were barely even sticking out. I had five minutes before I needed to leave for school, so all I could do was accept what a trainwreck the process was and get in the car.

     I’m not even going to lie, ignoring the height of my cake, I was feeling pretty cocky. Anna accidentally bought cookie frosting, so I knew I had her beat, and Virginia told me that her cake was so bad she did not even think it was edible. Let me just tell you what a big fat liar Virginia is. She walks in the classroom with a humongous three-layer cake, which she made completely from scratch. I was humbled very quickly when Virginia got first place.

     I ended up pulling off a finished cake, which got second place for taste, but needless to say, this was a rather stressful experience for me.

bottom of page